What is Fibroscan?
It is a device used to assess degree of scarring or damage to liver.
For which liver conditions can Fibroscan be used?
- Hepatitis C
- Hepatitis B
- HCV-HIV co-infection
- Hepatitis C recurrence after liver transplantation
- Non Alcohol Fatty Liver Disease
- Chronic cholestatic diseases
What does the Fibroscan examination consist of?
- You lie on your back, with your right arm raised behind your head. Physician applies a water-based gel to the skin and places the probe with a slight pressure.
- The examination includes 10 consecutive measurements made at the same location.
- During measurement, you feel a slight vibration on the skin at the tip of the probe.
- The result is delivered at the end of the examination, it's a number which can vary from 1.5 to 75 kPa. Your doctor will interpret the result.
What are the benefits?
- The result is immediate,
- It is non –invasive, therefore painless
- It shows the evolution of the liver health and allows physicians to diagnose and monitor disease evolution regardless of treatment or collateral factors.
- Exam result helps to anticipate various complications, as well as to monitor and assess the damages caused by diseases such as cirrhosis.
- Examination can be repeated as necessary to monitor liver condition.
When is Fibroscan examination not possible?
- On any other organ than the liver
- On patient with active implantable devices such as pacemakers, defibrillators, pumps…
- On wounds
- On pregnant women
- On patients with ascites
What will be the cost of Fibroscan?
- Rs. 7500/-