What is Acute Pancreatitis?
- Acute pancreatitis - When the inflammation develops quickly, over a few days or so. It often goes away completely and leaves no permanent damage. Sometimes it is serious.
Uncommon Causes –
- Viral infections like mumps
- High Triglyceride levels
- High calcium levels
- Autoimmune - this is where your own immune system attacks the pancreas
- Unknown - no cause is found in about 2-5 % of cases.
What happens in acute pancreatitis?
What are the symptoms of acute pancreatitis?
- Abdominal pain
- Feeling unwell
How is acute pancreatitis investigated?A combination of tests will help to detect the cause and assess the severity of the attack.
- Blood tests ( including amylase and lipase levels)n
- USG of the abdomen
- CT scan of the abdomen
- Depending on the reports- a score can be calculated
What is the treatment for acute pancreatitis?
- Patient will need hospitalization. Sometimes the patient will need ICU stay.
- Mainline of treatment includes painkillers, antibiotics and intravenous fluids . Surgery is sometimes needed to remove infected or damaged tissue.
- Removal of the gall bladder is advised if a gallstone was the cause.
- If it is secondary to alcohol, the patient will need to completely abstain from alcohol.
- High triglyceride levels may need medications Rarely, an attack of acute pancreatitis may be a one-off event.
July 21st, 2017